Tuesday, May 15, 2007

"TV just became really, really white again."

I watched the show a little at the beginning but I can't say I was a huge fan. I do think that it was a landmark for a Chicano to be the lead actor on a tv show. I guess now that they have Betty the feel they met their quota. Ugh. TV is such hegemonic wasteland. But it has a huge influence on our society so we can't just ignore what happens there...
George Lopez's show cancelled!!
George Lopez was told over the weekend that his show was canceled. Apparently ABC would lose money if it were picked renewed for another season. George didn't take it well. He remarked that, "TV just became really, really white again." I take it to mean that there is a loss of ethnic and racial diversity on TV. I believe the LA Times knew that too. However, they chose to paraphrase his quote and make that the headline for their story on his cancelation.

Even if you don't care about him or his show it's interesting to read all the comments people made below the article. I don't know if they actually read the article or not but the comments a lot of people made are really hostile and racist.


Check it out: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2007/05/post_1.html

No comments: