Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Desi Power Online

I thought this article was very interesting. Do any of you feel like the internet is a place that helps reinforce or create connections for your identity? M

There are 2 million South Asians in America today. They read, date, party and, increasingly, organize for political change online.
More stories by Tanzila Ahmed
She asked me what Friendster was. I stuttered. She was a high school friend of mine, and we had met up for coffee when I went home this break. Our lives took drastically different paths since high school, and when we had gone shopping that day, I was excited to buy a braided belt and she a Dyson vacuum cleaner. She's a fourth-grade teacher now, goes to bible study every Thursday, and is a married homeowner. We are both 26. And, she asked me, "What is Friendster? What's a blog? How do you date online?"

I was floored. This alternative web world is so much a part of my daily life -- I connect with friends online, write stories online, found a place to live online and, yes, even date online. Most importantly, I have a sense of South Asian American identity because of online. In the past couple of years, I have witnessed an explosion of South Asian American youth subcultures on the web.

No comments: